Survey Highlights Views of More Than 2,700 Singles from Across the United States
LOS ANGELES (Jan. 22, 2013) – Singles in America today are more progressive than ever when it comes to sex, living arrangements and gender roles, yet maintain traditional values when it comes to marriage and family, according to a new report jointly released by ChristianMingle®.com, the largest and fastest growing online community for Christian singles, and JDate®.com, the iconic community responsible for more Jewish marriages than all other dating sites combined. The two category-leading brands today announced the results of an expansive State of Dating in AmericaTM study, which surveyed more than 2,700 U.S. singles between the ages of 18 and 60.
Some surprising findings showcasing a more liberal attitude amongst singles include:
- 87% of singles think online dating is a great way to meet people
- Both men and women agree it is safer to meet someone through online dating than in a bar
- 85% of singles say sex before marriage is acceptable
- 91% of single Jews and 84% of single Christians would live with their partner before marriage
- 78% of single Christians and 60% of single Jews would consider marrying someone with kids
- A majority of singles say it doesn’t matter whether the man or woman is the breadwinner
However, the State of Dating in America study also reveals high value and importance placed on more traditional ideals:
- 78% of men believe the man should pay on the first date, and 55% of women agree
- 62% of 18 to 24-year-olds would be disappointed if they never got married
- Both men and women say their mothers have the biggest influence on whom they marry
- Nearly three-quarters of singles are looking for a partner who shares their religious faith
“Single adults make up an increasing portion of the American population. With the State of Dating in America survey, we wanted to get to the root of their views on relationships, sex, marriage and more,” said Greg Liberman, President and CEO of Spark Networks®, which owns and operates both ChristianMingle and JDate. “The results provide unique insights into the minds of today’s singles as they navigate the ever-evolving dating and relationships landscape.”
Gender and religious breakdowns of the findings reveal compelling differences as well:
- All women (100%) believe passionately kissing another is considered unfaithful; 86% of men agree
- 82% of women believe texting or online flirting is cheating; just 56% of men agree
- Christian singles prefer to meet for dinner on a first date, while Jewish singles like a cup of coffee
- When it comes to the most attractive trait in the opposite sex, single Jews slightly prefer intelligence while single Christians had a slightly higher preference for a sense of humor
“The State of Dating in America report puts a microscope on what today’s singles really think and feel when it comes to dating,” says Rachel Sussman, Marriage and Family Therapist and Licensed Clinical Social Worker. “The results of the study are consistent with what I see day in and day out as I counsel singles and couples about the obstacles, issues and questions that arise while on the road to developing successful modern relationships.” Sussman has partnered with JDate and ChristianMingle to analyze the findings and provide her expert insights.
To view the State of Dating in America report in full or to see expert analysis of the results, please visit www.stateofdatingreport.com
Formula PR: 310-578-7050
Rachel Jones-Pittier, email@example.com
Mira Yellin, firstname.lastname@example.org
ChristianMingle® (www.ChristianMingle.com) is the leading and fastest growing online community for Christian singles. In addition, ChristianMingle is a part of Gospel Media Group™, a premier network of online Christian resources which is also comprised of believe.com™ (www.believe.com), Faith.com™ (www.Faith.com), DailyBibleVerse.com™ (www.DailyBibleVerse.com) and ChristianCards.net™ (www.ChristianCards.net).
With more than 650,000 active members worldwide, JDate® (www.JDate.com, www.JDate.co.uk, www.JDate.co.il and www.JDate.fr) is the premier online community for Jewish singles. An iconic cornerstone of the Jewish community, JDate is responsible for more Jewish marriages than all other dating sites combined.
About Spark Networks
Spark Networks®, Inc. (www.Spark.net), a leading provider of online personals services in the U.S. and internationally, owns and operates a portfolio of consumer websites including, among others, ChristianMingle, JDate, BlackSingles.com® (www.BlackSingles.com) and SilverSingles®.com (www.SilverSingles.com). Spark Networks’ mission is to create iconic, niche-focused brands that build and strengthen the communities they serve. Spark Networks’ shares trade on the NYSE MKT under the symbol “LOV” (NYSE MKT: LOV).